Sunday, March 24, 2013

Beach Bridal Shower

Yay! Spring has finally arrived... except Mother Nature missed the memo! We are supposed to get another batch of snow tonight and it's almost April. This can't be real life. Uggh, and to make matter worse I had a beach themed bridal shower cake yesterday!! Now, all I can think about it is the summer, a nice tan, and being able to run outside without freezing to death. My fingers are crossed that a warm-up will be here sooner than later! 
On to the bridal shower cake! It was a two-tiered, buttercream finish cake. It had turquoise buttercream and I made the "sand" from graham cracker crumbs. A lot of cake designers vary their technique for sand, but I have found graham cracker works the best!
The finished cake! 

This is the sketch I did for the client. We decided to nix the anchor, and I was just too lazy/artistically challenged to draw the adirondack chairs. I'm extremely anal about having everything planned out to the very last detail with my cakes and that's why I almost always do sketches for my clients. It helps me to pinpoint their vision and ensures that they get the exact cake that they had in mind. 


To make the coral, I colored the buttercream with red and orange food coloring and then piped it on to the cake with a #14 star piping tip. The bubbles were made the same way with white buttercream and #9 round tip. 


The initials of the bride and groom-to-be were piped with tan royal icing. 




The seagrass, seashells, and cattails were are made from colored gumpaste. 




I have a candy mold that I used to make the seashells, and once they were dry I added detail with edible petal dust




I am really hoping that this cake was a sign that summer is right around the corner... that, or that I need a beach vacation ASAP! Thanks for reading! 

Always, 
Sarah 






No comments:

Post a Comment