Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Let's just start from the beginning... Part Two

Hello again! Alright, so where did I leave off? Right! Miami! 
In August 2010, I packed my bags, said my goodbyes, and made sure that I had all of Sophie's (my miniature cockpoo that you will know and love!) favorite chew toys. Making the move from rural PA to Miami was by far the hardest and most rewarding decision of my life. I was taking a leap of faith with culinary school... leaving everything and everyone that I knew and loved. I was going after my dream and I had no intentions of looking back OR failing. 
My time at Johnson & Wales went by in a blur. I was taking courses like Artisan Breads, Chocolate (which I had issues in because my abnormally warm hands would melt the chocolate!), Pies and Tarts, Plated Desserts, etc. I had never been so focused before in my life and it definitely paid off because I excelled in each course.  I was really anticipating the time when I would take the Specialty Cake class because this was the whole reason I went back to school! The skills practical (the hands-on final exam portion of course) in the Specialty Cake class was to decorate a two-tiered, fondant cake. Ya remember how I went all out for Claire's birthday cake? Yeeeeeah, I kind of had the same mentality when it came to this practical. Instead of doing one cake... I kind of did seven cakes! I HAD TO THOUGH!!! I wanted to do something with the theme, "Tastes From Around the World," and each cake represented a different country. 
All seven of my cakes from left to right: Mexico, Philadelphia, Japan, the Main Cake, Australia, China, and Italy
 There was the main cake that had flags from around the world, a globe, and a plane on top with a banner that read, "Tastes From Around the World." 

Mexico with tacos and tequila 

The United States, which I had to represent good ol' PA with a cheesesteak! 

Japan with sushi

Australia with some shrimp on the barbie! 

The one side represented the Outback 

While the other side represented the Great Barrier Reef

China had some take-out stir-fry! 

Had to include the Great Wall of China

And then Italy with a bowl of spaghetti and glass of wine! 
One side depicted the Sistine Chapel

While the other side had the Coliseum 
I spent countless hours, sleepless nights, and so much energy working on all of the cakes. I actually didn't think I was going to finish everything in time, but I did! And you better believe that I cried like a baby when I turned them in to be graded. When Chef Andrews was critiquing my work, she shook her head and said, "Sarah... I'm speechless! Your work speaks for itself. In almost all of my years of teaching, I have never seen a student go so above and beyond what was expected of them. You've set a new standard for future students." I am certain that those were her exact words because I have the memory engrained into my brain. It is the memory that 100% validated my choice to return to school. I knew that every single sacrifice, every penny spent on tuition, leaving my family and friends, the hard work, and my future career... it was all worth it. I was on Cloud 9, but still had to finish out the school year and intern over the summer. 
Ohhh man, I forgot about the whole internship debacle. Before I even thought of going back to school, I had fallen in love with the work of The Pink Cake Box. It is a cake shop in New Jersey and the work they do is INSANE. See for yourself... This was the only place that I wanted to do my internship, so I applied and sent in my portfolio. Sure enough, I got an interview! I met with them during my spring break and two days after the interview they offered me the position. My dreams were coming true! Orrr so I thought! The apartment that I had been renting in Miami had me locked in a lease until September 2011 and I would have to pay a RIDICULOUS amount of money to break it. In addition to that, I would have to find an apartment to sublet in New Jersey for the summer. Things slowly fell apart and I had to give up my internship at The Pink Cake Box. I'm still pretty bitter about it so I'll just leave it at that. I spent the summer interning at Couture Cakes in Delray Beach and it would have been great if I didn't have to deal with an hour's worth of traffic on 95 every morning and night!
After my internship was over, I returned to NEPA (North East Pennsylvania for all of those non-local readers). I had already applied, interviewed, and was offered a job at a cake shop in the area. I worked there for about 6 months and then quit for.. well we will say it was because of artistic differences so that I don't get sued by my former employer. When I started working there I had to sign a noncompete agreement that prevented me from doing anything cake/baking related in the entire state of PA for 6 months after I quit. Welcome to my own, little personal hell! Literally HELL! The six months were torture and I had to deal with a lot of unnecessary drama. I had the state agriculture department (they license home bakeries) contact me and then a few months later show up at my house because an "anonymous caller" reported that I was running an illegal, unlicensed home bakery. I guess the caller didn't know, or forgot!!! about my noncompete contract. Ugggh, I'll be the bigger person.. I'll be the bigger person! Pheeew... but this is all water under the bridge because I did become licensed when my noncompete contract expired!
I am now working out of my parents' finished basement, and I'm loving every minute of it... except for the tiny sink that I have to do the dishes in! The support from my family, friends, and growing clientele has been astounding. There have been so many times that I just want to throw the towel in and find a regular 9-5 job that doesn't require having food-coloring stained hands 24/7! But I would be giving up my dream. What I do for a living is my passion, although I can get frustrated with things, I can't picture myself doing anything else.
So that is where I am at today! I constantly have my eye open from places being put up for rent because I am determined to open a shop within the next year or two. I guess everyone will just have to stay tuned to see where life takes me!!!

Again, thank you so much for reading my blog! Now that I have my background story done, my posts will be more geared towards my cakes, business, etc.

Always,
 Sarah 







1 comment:

  1. Sarah! This is great! I love seeing your stuff and reading about your passion for what you do. Although I love cake decorating, it's just a side thing and something I REALLY LIKE. My real passion is obviously my day job, and your enthusiasm for baking and decorating outshines the enthusiasm I have for my lab work, haha. Keep up the amazing work and I seriously seriously seriously cannot wait to see what the finished product looks like for our wedding! Hoping a store-front comes sooner than later!!

    ReplyDelete